Monday, June 13, 2011

Warning!!! The Previous overclocking has failed…

Well today as usual I powered ON my PC and guess what?…….well it didn’t start. Instead I heard a long beep for few seconds and then nothing on my monitor. I tried again and the same happened.
Its monsoon here….so I thought it maybe because of moisture……so I kept my cabinet open for like a hour +. When I returned and tried again……same.                                     
 I was pissed off…I don’t like my PC off
So I dig in my cabinet. When I power On my PC all fans…..means  of CPU, GPU, PSU and my 3 extra fans for intake and exhaust  were spinning properly.
So what I did? 
first I tried to place those messy PSU cods away from my GPU, as it was too close to it(I know, not a smart thinking ). But on the contrary when I powered my PC ON……it started without that long BEEP. But this time with a message on screen  in red color.
Warning!!! The Previous overclocking has failed and the system restored to the default settings
Press any Key to continue
I have never OverClocked my PC.
So I continued and well my PC was ON. I entered my OS and all seemed OK. But it wasn’t.
Whenever I closed my cabinet and kept it vertical…..I was still getting that long BEEP, PC was not starting. So once I tried to start my PC keeping it horizontal…..and while it was running….I kept it vertical. So for an  hour it worked fine. As I was just surfing internet, I didn’t notice one thing, that in My Computer Properties though I have 4GB of RAM….my OS was only using 1GB. I have two 2GBs of RAM sticks….how my PC was only using 1 GB from it???? I started my Task Manager and in Performance tab in Physical Memory in front of Total it was just 1024…i.e 1GB.
So what I did?
Well as it was directing toward RAM……I again opened my cabinet. First I removed both my RAM sticks……cleaned the sockets, and also the sticks
(Use a eraser and rub the bottom shiny part(Pins) of RAM). First I only installed one RAM stick.  And after that I powered up my PC…..it started. In my BIOS I set the Default Fail settings. I was able to enter my OS. I checked the Performance tab once again and well the Total showed 2048 something……means 2Gb, which was correct for my one RAM stick. I restarted my PC few times so I can check I am not getting that “Long BEEP”, and I didn’t .
After that I installed my second RAM stick….and all went ok. in Performance tab it showed 3500 something, which is 3.5GB correct for a 32-Bit PC, though I have total 4GB RAM . My PC is running ok now.
Remember guys, the above solution is not applicable to all. Even with the same “red message”. As I Googled, I also came to know that such message can indicate a soon expiry of Motherboard….but not always, there can be many other hardware reasons which can be solved easily. I will see how long my PC works fine…I hope it will survive .
So what I learned?
Well, whenever computers have problems…….just find for simple clues and observe to get to conclusions. Internet/googling is really a good help. keep your PC clean as possible.

2 comments:

  1. I have the same exact problem right now, but my ram seems to be working ok. I will try this solution and see if it works, otherwise, seems like a new motherboard will have to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope it helps :)
      Do clean the RAM pins with eraser so they shine.
      Is your motherboard old?
      Mine is back from Jan 2009, still working. Had the above problem on it for few times, but RAM was the issue.
      Hope your problem gets solved.

      Delete